What Should You Look for In An IT Services Provider?
Finding the right IT services provider for your business is one of the greatest challenges any professional can face. Your partnership with an IT services firm is like any other relationship – finding the right partner requires a deep understanding of your needs, the level of attention and commitment each party is able to support, and the reliability and communication of all involved
It’s true – finding the right IT services company isn’t easy, but what makes this quest particularly complex is finding a provider that can meet your very unique IT needs but fundamentally understands those needs without categorizing you like any other client and treating you like a number.
When Choosing an IT Services Company, Where Should You Start?
It’s becoming more common for larger regional or national IT firms to move into new markets and compete directly with the local established providers, sometimes undercutting on costs to gain the competitive edge, but sacrificing service to offset these cost-cutting measures. When choosing a provider, it’s best to start with deciding what areas you want to focus on.
- Do you need an IT services company for the short-term or the long-term?
- Do you need an IT services provider that can come to your location, or is over-the-phone support more your style?
- What is your IT strategy and how do you envision your IT services company supporting your objectives?
These answers will give you more guidance into the right fit for your IT needs.
What Questions Should You Ask An IT Services Company?
Every IT services company is different, just like every business is different, and your IT needs will be unique – so you need to decide how individualized your IT services company will need to be in their approach. If you’re considering a regional or national IT company, it’s wise to think about how they will manage your technology needs:
- Is the IT support local or is the response from somewhere else, like a remote call center?
- Are these support staff outsourced?
- Is there a high level of turnover with your support team, or will I get the same support team each time I need to talk to someone?
It pays to investigate and do your research – this provider will be supporting the technology that powers your business and this is one area that needs answers that match your IT strategy.
Choose an IT services company that can help you meet your objectives and matches your long-term vision. Help yourself by doing some homework:
- Check Google Reviews
- Ask for references
- Research consumer reports
- Request case studies or success stories
Finding proof that the IT services company delivers on their promises is the best way to have confidence and build a long-term relationship.
Lastly, even when doing your research and with lots of planning there is still the chance that your choice won’t be the best fit, so make sure you cover your bases and have an exit strategy…just in case.